I’m both happy and frustrated with today’s session. The intention was to brew a bog-standard American Pale with a neighbor:
This recipe came about by a surprise brew day efficiency boost. It’s here more for posterity than anything. I will follow up with tasting notes when it’s ready.
This is another after-the-fact log.
It was finally time to do the Imperial Pumpkin Ale. This one was a bit of a mess, because I made some arbitrary decisions that changed up my standard procedures. Efficiency went down the toilet as a result, and I ended up having to add over 2 1/2 pounds of DME to the boil kettle to hit the pre-boil gravity. Everything else went very smoothly, so in the end it should result in a drinkable beer.
This entry is outside what will be the norm, because it’s so long after the fact. Future session notes will be done within a day or two.
Brewing Dr. Mark’s Kryptonite is always a treat. I first concocted this back in 2013 as an experiment to see how far I could go with the hop additions without destroying the balance of malt and bitterness. I also wanted to find a good balance between the (to me) cloying nature of the citrus hops and the piney resin that I love. That first batch was so successful that my brother proclaimed it “better than Pliney” and proceeded to drink himself into oblivion. I have to admit that I’ve done the same on more than one occasion.
Dr. Mark’s Kryptonite v1.5
Double IPA (west coast style)
10 gallon batch, 11 gallons into the fermenter
Color: 11.3 SRM
Est ABV: 7.9%
I stumbled across Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale several years ago, and loved it. After quite a bit of digging I found a clone recipe, supposedly based off of information given from the brewmaster himself. Take that with a grain of salt. I’ve been wanting to brew this ever since, and I finally got the chance a couple weeks ago. I had to substitute for a couple equivalent grains due to availability, and while I doubt this is going to be a clone, the sample tasted very promising as I stared the crash cooling.